Saturday, November 18, 2006

Ubsolutely Fuscinating

Lately I've been catching up with some of the Sci-Fi Channel episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 that I've never seen before, both on dvd and on YouTube, where you can find lots of episodes broken up into ten parts (my willingness to spend all my free time watching lengthy, low-res clips on computer screens knows no bounds). I didn't have Sci-Fi on cable when they aired and I was never in a hurry to catch up with this era, I think mainly because I'm intrinsically opposed to the Pearl character that replaced Forrester and TV's Frank. However, the last few seasons did contain some of the series' most entertainingly ghastly movies and they were often on fire with the quips in the theater as well, so I can just skip the host segments and I'm happy. I ran across this deleted footage from the series' final episode, where the producers surprised Mike & co. with a montage of clips from past films while they were shooting comments for that week's movie, Diabolik. It's a treat for any fan of the show.

4 comments:

litelysalted said...

I just tried to watch that clip but I couldn't hear the robot parts over the stupid fucking work radio without turning it up loud enough to raise suspicions. I'll have to catch it later...

I loved this show so much as an adolescent. I catch epsiodes here and there and went through a netflixing phase which I should start back up. If you haven't seen it yet or lately, do yourself a favor and rent Mitchell, easily my favorite episode of all time.

Oh and also I don't know if you ever watch Cheap Seats, but I caught an episode of that during a marathon this weekend that featured Mike and the Bots. High-larious!

Chris said...

I used to love it as a kid as well, from the point where it was Comedy Central's signtaure show for years to when they eventually cast it aside. I can say with something vaguely resembling pride that MST3k filled my head with tons of obscure references that I had no business knowing about at that age. And yeah, Mitchell is easily one of the best. Supposedly Joe Don Baker was irate with them after that. It's also amazing how "Manos" is in the "worst film" pantheon now as a result of their treatment.

litelysalted said...

Bwa!!! Joe Don Baker!! Don't wanna piss that guy off!!!!

Chris said...

Reading up on MST3K online the last few days, I saw that apparently Mike Nelson once stayed at the same hotel as Joe Don Baker but deliberately avoided him the whole time, I guess for fear of contracting a Joe Don Beating.